Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Ceramic Bowl mystery - any suggestions?

I'm cursed with only getting interested in things which I know nothing about. This bowl mystifies me and I'm hoping that someone might have seen something like it and give me a direction for researching it. What confuses me is the combo of sloppy glaze (around the base rim) and the pink cast to the interior combined with what seems like some pretty intense gold work. The gold band application seems more than gilding - the rim actually has what seems like gilding that is wearing off, while the gold band around it seems like another technique. Also - there is an edge to the gold band that looks like a line was carved into the bowl at the edge of the gold band - why? It looks ugly and sloppy. All that is just frustration talking as I can't seem to get a feel for this bowl - even a general one like trying to figure out if it is US or Euro and if modern or old. Any hunches or memories of something remotely similar would be appreciated.


Orignal From: Ceramic Bowl mystery - any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment