Sunday, September 11, 2011

Building a great rod

While ALL rods sold today are built by hand one by one, nothing out there gees close to a custom rod handmade especially by you. Even though a rod is just a tool to catch fish, it is the same as a custom chopper or hot rod which gets you there the way YOU WANT. A symbol of expression, expertise, and skills.A great rod always starts with a vision and good planning. Before starting, I try to draw it on a piece of paper how I want it, what color, and then I select the geponents. I always make a list of the things I need such as blanks, guides, reel seat, grips, thread, etc. When selecting blanks, a good way to do it is to go to your local tackle shop and test a few built rods from major brands such as G. Loomis, St. Croix, Lamiglas, and cross reference the rod to the blank used. Most blanks have standard actions, for instance if you see a St Croix TCB68MXF rod (top water 6'8" 8-14lb line, medium power, extra fast taper), the blank is the 4C68MXF. The feel of the gepleted rod at the store is what you have to look for since the guides and handle position will change the feel of the blank.Always choose long lasting and high performance geponents, that's why I choose Fuji reel seats and guides. Lets face it, if you're going to spend a few hours to build "THE ROD", might as well make those hours worth it. In the past I use to build with Pac Bay guides, and often a year later having to re-do the rod because the rings would crack, or the frames would rust and break off. I've learned my lesson.As for the grip, I used to be a big fan of cork, but since it is getting scarce, good cork is hard to gee by. So I have been building with EVA foam. Its easy to shape on the lathe and lasts forever. Plus it gees in a variety of colors to choose from. Whatever material you choose, whether is cork or foam, try making your OWN custom shape. The handle assembly is what you will hold on to all day on the water. Make it gefortable and good looking.Lastly, finish off your rod with good quality thread like Gudebrod or Fishhawk, and coat them Flexcoat. I have tried every brand out there, but the epoxy of my choice is still Flexcoat....and yes, two thin coats is better than one thick.I hope your rod building projects bring some happiness to your or your customer's life. Feel free to contact me with any questions you may have about the products I sell and/or your project. Regards,Fernando (tacklesuperbdeals)

No comments:

Post a Comment